Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Tuesday, 12:35 pm

We arrived in Hong Kong this morning. After a nice clean-up and breakfast at our (really very nice) hotel, we headed to the office. Dave met with the Office Manager, and I got to sit in on the meeting. I like her. The biggest news I heard in that meeting is her opinion that Dave ought to work in Shanghai. Afterward, Dave worked for a while and I went downstairs.

The office is in Times Square, the high-rise version of Michigan Avenue. The prices intimidated me a bit, until I reminded myself that I don't shop on Michigan Avenue at home, so why would I be shopping in Times Square here?

Did pop into The Body Shop. My moisturizer I use costs nearly twice as much here, and on Body Shop prices, that's a significant difference. There may be some necessary changes made in my brands and lifestyle.

There's a grocery in the basement called City 'Super. I have no explanation for the apostrophe. Speaking as a grocery store enjoyer, it was a really cool grocery. And my quick and dirty analysis is that for the things I buy that are expensive at home (e.g. organic baby food), the prices are fairly comparable. The trouble is on the things that come cheap at home. If I did my math correctly, a small bag of flour was over $3 American. And a small loaf of white bread was closer to $10. I'll update this later, as my math is pretty fuzzy on the 3 hours of sleep I caught on the plane. So much for sleeping pills!

We're about to go to lunch with the Office Manager. Dim sum, I believe.

No comments: