Monday, August 15, 2011

Prepared

I returned today from a lovely weekend away.

While living in Shanghai, I was blessed to be a part of a truly amazing group of women.  The group morphed over the two years I belonged, but the women were consistently amazing.  It was a weekly Bible Study, where we worked through Beth Moore's Living Beyond Yourself, and her A Woman's Heart. Some other time I'll tell you how great I think Beth Moore is.  Today I'm telling you about me, and about these women - who studied with me, challenged me, prayed with me and simply met with me every week.  Three of us met in Ohio this past weekend, and it was a beautiful few days.  In commemoration of our studies, we attended one of Beth's Living Proof Live events.

Her theme was PREPARE.  I'm not going to take you through the weekend, or her 9 points.  But after listening to a great speaker, worshipping with 7,000 other women and a strong worship team, and just relaxing and talking with three amazing women, I solidified a few things for myself.


I am in a time of rest right now.  The move to Arlington has been difficult, and June was a particularly hard month.  But we've found a few blessedly good communities - Sophia's school, our church, our neighborhood - and I trust we will begin this year strong, upon our arrival home in a few weeks.  Strong, and without much stress.  Life is challenging - we're on a tight budget, and I do not want to live beyond our means, or to sacrifice good food.  Also challenging simply managing the schedules of 5 people in suburban America, and all of the car time that entails for Annika and I.  But still, I inherently understand the systems around me and I am able to communicate freely with most of the people I meet.  This is a time of rest.

I have become particularly committed to this time of rest over the last week or so, as a few wonderful options have arisen.  I have the opportunity to teach music classes on Saturdays, a paid and enjoyable position.  I have the opportunity to volunteer for a significant State Department project which would likely bring me into direct contact with the Secretary of State.  I have a fabulous book idea, and have been connected to some great publishing contacts.  I feel excited about each of these opportunities.  Like, really excited.

And I have said no to each one.  I am committed to this time of rest.  Not that driving all over Northern Virginia and baking my own bread is particularly restful.  Just that each of these things are inescapable, and life will quickly become exhausting and unpleasant if I add on any negotiables.  This season is exclusively for the non-negotiables.

Here are the only extra-curriculars I am allowing on my plate:
- Bible Study:  Our church hosts women's Bible Study on Thursday mornings.  I have a feeling it'll be nothing like my groups in China, but its a commitment my soul and my social side need.
- Spanish: I would really like to arrive in Venezuela with a long list of vocabulary, ready to begin speaking poorly and then begin in earnest with a tutor.  I plan to speak Spanish well by the time we leave Venezuela.  As a State Department family, I have access to Rosetta Stone and plan to begin earnest study with that as soon as I am able.
- Blogging: As much a release and a journal for me as a gratifying way to stay in touch with folks I have known, and to share information with folks I don't know.  I haven't written as much as I'd like over the past few months, and I want to see my posts increase again.

I feel prepared going into this season, planning not to oversubscribe and to take only a few projects quite seriously.  I hope this will leave me well prepared both spiritually and verbally when we leave this place of rest, and arrive in Venezuela 18 months from now.

No comments: