Saturday, September 13, 2014

Gado Gado Nearly Beat Me

I've been telling you about Sumi's cooking the last couple days.  Quick, healthy, cheap and tasty - its been a big win for everyone.  A few days ago, Sumi brought in gado gado, a traditional Indonesian dish which I have since noticed on more street hawker stalls then any other dish.

If you google it in English, its described as a salad with a peanut dressing.  It seemed fairly distant from a salad to me.  But it was a mix of primarily raw vegetables.  In Sumi's gado gado, we had long beans, bean sprouts and wilted kangkung.  She made a sort of potato pancake on the side. 


When you google it in English, the recipe will likely include one or two chiles.  Sumi's peanut sauce had way more than one or two chiles.  It was crazy spicy, and I was glad I waited to eat until she had left for the day.  Feeling strong, I had covered my veg with loads of this truly delicious peanut sauce.  When I asked how she made the sauce, she gave all the credit to her mother.  In fact, I believe her mother makes a base back at her home in Solo and then sends it back with Sumi when they visit.


It was delicious.  And the fire from the chiles did not beat me, although it threatened to.  But this lunch used up a full glass of milk, a bottle of Heineken and a whole lot of tissues.

I will absolutely eat it again - it was delicious.  But I may put on a bit less of the sauce.

No comments: