Saturday, February 16, 2008

Pleasure Overload

Zoom back in time, about 4 months or so. In the weeks surrounding our move, I often posted that so much had happened between my opportunities to sit and write that I had lost the ability to write about them in a meaningful way.

The same applies today.

Since my last posting, our family drove to St. Louis and spent an overwhelming few days surrounded by family, friends and many of our favorite places and foods. I made an error in judgment, and checked our family in with all of our home doctors. That placed at least 2 appointments on the family calendar each day to draw blood, clean teeth, fit into stirrups and giv the family a clean bill of health before heading back to China. This error in judgment led to 2 rather stressed little girls and 2 exhausted parents.

Dave and I jumped a flight to London Monday afternoon, and arrived absolutely exhausted and rather sick because. But I'll admit, if I need to be laid up in bed somewhere for a day or two, a nice hotel in the middle of London is fine with me. Dressed for breakfast in the morning, and then back up to the room to re-don my pajamas and spend the rest of the day sleeping or watching television. Having spent plenty of time in London, I felt no guilt about missing the sites. Knowing that I had a week in town total, I had no guilt about relaxing thoroughly for a full 2 of those days.

I managed to fit in a bit of shopping and a few good meals before Dave and I headed up to Cambridge to spend a few wonderful days with his brother. We hadn't spent any time with Jon and Stacey in years, so the last few days have been a lovely time of catching up together.

And then back to St. Louis tomorrow to finish out our schedule of doctor's appointments and dinners with friends, hopefully returning to some well rested and happy little girls as well. As much fun as we've had, its been heartbreaking to spend so long away from our girls and we're much looking forward to the reunion.

I ought to reflect on our time in St. Louis in more thoughtful detail, but just in case I don't...

A few thoughts have crossed my mind as I've hashed through our stories with friends:

1. If I had friends in Shanghai, all of the rest would be more adventure than frustration.

2. I very much miss belonging to a physical community, where you chat with the dental hygienist and you wave at people on the street. Where you allow your children to mix with the crowd, because you know at least a bit about everyone.

3. I had begun to believe that everyone would hire someone else to care for their children, if only they could afford it. By this, I refer to placing children in school at very early ages and having them cared for by ayis until. The reality is that a very large number of our friends in St. Louis are making a financial sacrifice so that one of the couple can be the primary caretaker of their child. What a major difference.

I promise to hash these out more later.

But in case I've left any room for doubt, February has so far been a truly wonderful month and it makes me feel a bit sick and pained inside to consider leaving all of these people again. It is good to be loved.

No comments: