Thursday, December 31, 2009

Lane Reconstruction

I'm feeling nervous.

A small brick wall has grown around our garden. Its about 4 bricks high, roughly made of old bricks and a mud mortar. It edges the public walk, and so meets up with the line of trees which surround our small garden.

I'm nervous that this wall will continue to grow. Many workmen stand gathered near the wall, riding on the exercise playground, mixing more mortar, smoking cigarettes.

It seems that the wall around the public garden across from us has come down as well, and I am hoping that they have moved from my low wall onto the next one.

I do not feel confident.

Today, light streams in through our french doors and our many beautiful windows, filtered by the tall trees surrounding our garden. It makes the kitchen feel brighter, makes the entire house warmer, and adds a lovely glow at the right time of day.

Should that wall rise further, we would look out our windows onto what would have clearly become thin bushes, only lightly masking the lumpy wall behind them. Our garden would no longer get any light. We would no longer have access to the exercise playground, and I certainly couldn't send the girls there alone. I would feel cut-off from the lane.

Still no work on our wall. The men seem to be working on the opposite garden now. Still, I am nervous.

No comments: