Saturday, January 23, 2010

A Little Jealous

My younger brother arrived in Shanghai Tuesday night, right on time. We've been enjoying his company around the house, and the girls have especially been enjoying such a rigorous playmate. But last night, the girls and I bid him and Dave farewell. The pair took an overnight train to Huang Shan, where they spent the day today climbing the mountain. Tomorrow morning, they'll watch the sun rising over the peaks and then climb down again. Dave plans to catch a plane back home, arriving late tomorrow night. I look forward to posting some of his photos. Adam will catch a plane to Beijing, and begin a week of lone traveling through China. His path is simplified by the plans we've made - he has plan tickets and hostel reservations, as well as directions on how to reach each one. He will go to Beijing and Yangshuo, and then return to Shanghai after a week.

I set up the trip for Adam. Dave did most of the legwork for Huang Shan, but I was involved in the details. And the further involved I became, the more my jealousy grew. Such a trip I can not take with 2 such young children. Such a trip involves sleeping on trains, figuring it out as you go, and walking a lot. Such a trip involves dorm beds and midnight arrivals. Such a trip involves waiting until you can figure out the right answers, or seeking out someone who speaks enough English to point you in the right direction. Such a trip involves some trial and error. My goodness, such a description grows my jealousy all the more.

The backpacker days may well return again, although probably only after the youngest child has reached elementary school age, at least. For now, living vicariously through my brother, and tag-teaming weekend outings will have to suffice. As travel becomes more limited, I relish the life we have chosen - a new destination every few years. Not exactly backpacking, but no less an adventure.

No comments: