Thursday, January 10, 2013

Grisel's Empanadas


 There was a time where I hoped this blog would have wide distribution.  I dreamed of having a journal section, but also a photography section and a recipe section - not unlike many other popular bloggers, and therefore completely unoriginal.  I've since decided that I have no need for mass distribution, and learned just last name that it would make my husband horrible nervous.  So I gave up on my dreams of being a food blogger.

That said, these empanadas were so fun to learn and so fun to make and certainly fun to eat.  They seem well worth recording. 

Some of the embassy ladies got together last week for a little How To evening.  This was apparently the first - a new idea among this circle of gals, but one I'd love to see repeated.  Grisel is Argentinian and volunteered to teach us her native empanadas.  I made a few changes, but these are primarily hers.  Simple and delicious, and a big hit with my kids - who call them hamburger pies.  Oh well.

Step 1:
I don't have a photo of the first few steps, but I think you'll be okay.
Chop up 1 onion per each kilo of ground beef you'll be using.  I used 1 kilo of ground beef and 1 white onion.  Slowly saute the onion in oil until it is soft.  I added some butter for a bit more richness - butter is always my secret ingredient.

Step 2:
Add your seasoning:  cumin is the key ingredient, but Grisel also added red pepper flakes and Worecestershire, and of course salt and pepper.  I subbed dried chipotle powder and soy sauce.  Chipotle is my other secret ingredient.

Step 3:
Allow this to cool.  Grisel used an ice water bath to cool it.  I prepped it the night before.  My way was less stressful, but Grisel's meat was much easier to use because it had not congealed.

Step 4:
Pull out your empanada skins.  She did not make them from scratch, and so neither did I.


Step 5:
Scoop the meat mixture into the center of the skins - 2 thin tablespoons will be fine.  The Argentinians top with chopped boiled egg and chopped green olives.  In my second batch, I topped with shredded Mozzarella cheese.  The less cheese the better - too much cheese leaked out or got oily.  Just a little bit added a nice creaminess.  But now we're getting toward hamburger pies and away from the Argentinians.


Step 6:
Fold it up.  Press the edges to seal, and then fold them over to really truly seal.  Grisel says the seal is integral.  I found that it only mattered when I had loaded it with cheese.



Step 7:
Bake on a cookie sheet in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes, until golden brown.  Delicioso!



No comments: