Friday, September 04, 2009

The Unthinkable has Occurred

The roach count is now up to:

Sighted: 6
Killed: 3
Removed from the house: 2

And then the unthinkable happened this afternoon.

With the move from one house to the next, Sophia moved from her crib to her toddler bed. As such, naps have been a chore for the last week. I find that convincing her I am napping next to her generally lulls her to sleep. This is where by afternoon napping habit began, by the way. The same was true of Lilly.

However, on this afternoon my To Do List had too many unchecked items for me to fall asleep. I lay awake next to her, listening to her breathing slow. I scratched my arm, and inadvertently moved a bug. So little, I assumed it was a mosquito - this house has plenty of them inside as well. But just to be safe, I sought the little bugger out. Crawling along the folds of Sophia's purple blanket, I found him. Long antennae twitching away.

Lucky for everyone, Sophia was asleep and I had my Mama Bear hat on. There was no way I could allow a tiny little roach to crawl all over my sleeping baby, or to wake her up. Thoughtlessly, I batted him onto a magazine and quickly removed him to the bathroom where he died quickly in a sink full of hot, soapy water.

And now that the unthinkable has happened, I will admit to feeling a bit less frightened by the whole affair. Unfortunately, the creeps have not gone away entirely. New unthinkables have arisen - what if I found a roach in Lilly's birthday cake, cooling on the kitchen stove? And we have firmly established that roaches are creepier at night. How will I fall asleep in a bed my mind tonight will believe to be crawling with bugs?

The landlord has graciously agreed to have an exterminator to the house on Monday morning. He promises to return again within a week if the problem is not solved completely. We should be okay, soon. Plus, I get to sleep in America next week - my parents' house will be bug-free! But we look forward to a creepy, crawly weekend. Or maybe we look forward to a weekend in a hotel. Sounds like a great birthday present for Lilly, right?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sorry about the roach problem--at least their 'clean' bugs! We had them in our first apartment--the guy next door kept a year's worth of newspapers. We had them coming out of our coffee filters and pots and pans and one night I found over 50 in my silverware drawer! And yes, after telling some friends about our problem I did find one scuttling along the bottom of our cake carrier which had a hot apple pie in it. Our friends were very understanding and ate it anyway. Incredibly embarrassing!