Thursday, November 05, 2009

The Baby Predictor

We had some of Dave's coworkers over for dinner on Friday night. This was a pretty Chinese crowd, which is always fun. Discussions about whether or not you can eat broccoli raw and stories about feeding crabs to the pigs bounce over the table and the piles of food. Dave announced the baby at dinner that night as well, which received much excitement and many questions.

We also learned that the Chinese can predict the sex of the baby. A particularly urgent need in a country where ultrasound technicians are forbidden by law from revealing the sex of the baby. Nina shared a spreadsheet with these inputs: Month of conception and Mother's actual age at the date of conception plus 9 months. Apparently, these inputs have made accurate predictions among Uncle H--'s new babies over the last year - 100% accurate. This is over a sample size of only 4. Still, when we looked back at our two babies, the predictions were correct. That brings us to 6 out of 6 - still 100%!

So, all you Mamas, we need your help. Let's put the predictor to the test. Try to remember your details, and post the accuracy in a comment. Dave's hoping to discredit the thing - it says we're going to have another girl!


生男生女圖 Boy or Girl?

中國在七百年前的皇家墓地裡發現了這幅生男生女圖。
這幅圖現在保存在北京科學院。它已被成千上萬的人所證實。據說其準確達99%
豎行﹕懷孕的月份
橫行﹕年齡 (懷孕時的歲數 + 9個月)
交叉處即為結果 (男孩或女孩)
網主及一些朋友們測試近20個小孩,全部正確。讓人驚嘆﹗您不妨試試。

Boy =

Girl =

Mother's actual age at the date of conception plus 9 months

"母親年齡"
/懷孕月份
Month of
Conception

18

19

20

21

22

23

24

25

26

27

28

29

30

31

32

33

34

35

36

37

38

39

40

41

42

43

44

45

1Jan

2Feb

3March

4April

5May

6June

7July

8Aug

9Sept

10Oct

11Nov

12Dec

12 comments:

JenHahn said...

Whoa. It's right for both of mine.

Anonymous said...

So, if I did it correctly, as near a I can tell, it is right for all 5 of my kids! How strange is that!!!!
Love you. mom

Tina Miles said...

I've seen these on the internet and blew them off as not correct--but that one is correct with all 3 of mine (never had to add the 9 months before). Wow.

By the way, I don't know if I've commented before, but my sister (Heidi Harbin, knew you from St. Louis) sent me a link to your blog. I've So enjoyed reading your adventures of raising your girls in China!

MJC said...

I did one of these (from the internet) just for fun. That one predicted a boy and this one is likewise correct for Brandon. I guess you should keep those pink clothes!

Amanda said...

It is only correct for one of my three kiddos. The only one it is correct for is the little man not the girls.
Amanda

cl03 said...

Hey Lynn,

I did it for both Z&A and it is false on both. :)

Hope this helps!

Lynda

Amanda Denny Whiteford said...

Wrong on both counts for me. I'll keep my figures crossed for you!

Beth, Bill, E,B,and C said...

It MAY not be right for Brennan. It is a question of days....end of Sept. beginning of October. I'd say that its pretty accurate if it comes down to a few days range. It is right for Ethan.

Anonymous said...

It's right for Noah, but not for Elise :) Interesting though. -Sarah J

EBD said...

It was 1 correct out of 3 for me. 2 out of two for my mom.

Anonymous said...

another false here. the predictor said i was having a boy during our first pregnancy and i had a boy and a girl! :)
Ashley Haden

Lori Carbonneau said...

Correct for all three of mine! How lovely 4 girls would be!!!