Monday, September 20, 2010

Normalizing

Things have fallen into fast at breakneck speed here. We have settled comfortably into our house, and every box is now opened with contents in good condition. Pictures still lean against the walls, and the contents of the guest room sit in towering piles on the bed, but we otherwise look moved in. I cooked a full dinner tonight from scratch - the first time that has happened in over a month. The kitchen is comfortable, and it felt nice to eat home cooking again.

We are beginning to find our routine, which makes everyone more comfortable as well. Mornings work rather smoothly, and all within an hour. Annika and I run errands or try to accomplish small projects in the morning, until I return to school to pick up Sophia. We lunch together, everyone naps, and then we return to school to get Lilly. Playdates may ensue, I prepare dinner, we eat, we clean up, and we go to bed. The day disappears in an instant, it seems. And I rarely accomplish anything in all of that time - nothing beyond keeping three young children fed and reasonably clothed, that is.

I am finding my place in the social world here as well. In such a small town environment, finding my place feels more like high school than adulthood. I feel as if I should attend every social event, to show that I am making an effort to make friends. I should join friends whenever they do anything, to keep invitations coming and to stay a part of the crowd. I wonder why I wasn't invited when a group of friends goes to lunch or out shopping. And at the same time, I feel sad that my life has become nothing more than feeding my children and hanging out with my friends - it feels empty and rather boring.

This is life with a baby - frustration at not being able to accomplish more.
This is life in a new place - empty pursuits and shallow conversations.
This is a season, which shall soon pass. Happily, we are comfortable and surrounded by a friendly community of adults. I remind myself that no one expects me to act like a teenager, and that I have no desire to join every lunch and manicure.

On the other hand, I have met some quite interesting people and enjoy taking those friendships to the next level. Dave has Thursday and Friday as holidays, with more coming next week. I look forward to the chance to explore town outside of walking distance.

So, my apologies for the lack of posts recently. You now know what is in my head, a normal mixture of nerves and comfort in this new place. And you now know how I spend my time, doing absolutely nothing blog-worthy. But coming soon... photos of the new house, tips on moving, and if you're lucky you'll get a story about the typhoon we're expecting tomorrow.

No comments: