Thursday, September 02, 2010

Small Town Life

On Sunday, we went to church. I walked Sophia to Sunday School, and could not leave her alone in the room. A woman named Olivia was leading the class for ages 1 through 4 years old. Most of the kids sat on their mom's laps, as if by design. I sat in the corner and Sophia sat next to me. We listened as Olivia called the roll for about 10 minutes, and Sophia remained remarkably well behaved. We listened as Olivia lectured on listening well, and scolded the children for not answering her questions. At this point, I told Sophia I needed to go to the bathroom and we walked out. We did not return.

On Monday, I went to the local Women's Club breakfast at Starbucks. I chatted with a few friends, and was introduced to a few more. Everyone was friendly and conversational. Except Olivia from Burma. She was a sharp looking lady, and rather quiet. She answered my questions, but she didn't ask any of me. So with a quick Nice to meet you!, I turned around and spoke with someone else.

This morning, I visited a women's Bible Study hosted by Zoo and Olivia. As it turns out, Zoo is not a typo from Zoe. And (you saw this coming), Olivia is the same woman I met twice previously. I remembered her from Sunday School, she remembered me from Starbucks.

Bible Study left me underwhelmed, and disappointed at my prospects for a strong Christian community of women.

And reeling by how small a town this is.

I have a bad habit of writing people off when they've made a bad impression. I think I'm going to need to learn some small town manners, because there will be no avoiding people once we've met in this community.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can have your own study??? It sounded like you did a great job in Shanghai. Love you so much. mom