Monday, February 14, 2011

Learning Chinese

One of the blessings of living overseas is that you can often afford household help. Our housekeeper / nanny (called ayi here in China) is a lovely older woman who thinks the world of Annika. So much so, in fact, that I often find the housework left undone because she's been playing with Annika every moment she could. So much so, in fact, that she'll grab my baby away from me to take her away and play. Said baby loves it so much that I can hardly complain.

So, when I told ayi that we will move away from China in about one month, she looked very sad. Of course, losing your job is always sad. But I think she's mainly sad to say good-bye to little Annika. She grabbed her soon after, and gave her some snuggles.

This morning, I came home early and have taken advantage of the time to sit at my desk and get things done while ayi and Annika play upstairs. Just now, I heard her learning to speak Mandarin. Yi, er, san I hear ayi saying, with bah, bah, bah as the reply.

No comments: