Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Budget Update

I'm standing by groceries by my assertion that groceries are expensive.  And I don't feel bad for struggling through the budget adjustments.  But I have come to realize that I've got more room that I thought.  A good friend sent along some tips, and a peek into her budget.  She feeds and bathes her family or 5 - remarkably similar to ours in age - off of a fireman's salary, and a $600 monthly consumables budget.  I am inspired.

Here are some of my plans for decreasing our budget:

- Cutting out alcohol; parties at our house will be BYOB for the next year or two.
- Cutting out organics;  children in our house will not die any earlier if they eat pesticides for the near future;
- Making use of what's in the house when planning meals; and
- Eating out cheaper and less frequently;  weekend outings will include sack lunches, and fun evenings out will be to Baskin-Robbins ice-cream instead of to BGR burgers and milkshakes.

They're pretty simple steps, so I know we can do it.  When we decided to take this job, I was kind of looking forward to living off of a budget and making more fiscally responsible choices.  Its good.  But I'll admit - now I'm looking forward to living in Venezuela, making more money with less expenses, and not worrying quite so much about the budget.

No comments: