Friday, January 16, 2009

American Beauty

In looking forward to our time in the states, I expected to experience some culture shock upon arrival. My only shock has been in its complete absence. We have spent time in family homes, friends' homes and our home neighborhood and been pleasantly surprised and how little has changed. Most of our world is just as we remember it, and we find ourselves able to fit right back into our former social and physical setting with ease.

Then, earlier this week I made a quick roadtrip up to Iowa City to visit a friend who just moved there. Her new home was a new destination for me, although I grew up spending weekends on my grandparents Iowa farm until I was 8 years old. This may have been a new city, but the culture was thoroughly familiar.

So I was pleasantly surprised to experience the culture shock I had so looked forward to.

I found myself looking at water fountains with pleased surprise - Fantastic! They're offering free water, and its entirely safe to drink!

I was constantly astonished at the cold outside (temps topped out at 2 degrees Fahrenheit) - Wow, its so cold my face hurts!

I was just as surprised at how quickly I recovered from the cold - I've been inside for under 2 minutes and already I'm warm enough to shed my coat!

I loved the prices and the simplicity of the food - Large spinach salad and bread for $2.62! Two pancakes, eggs cooked sunny-side-up, 4 strips of bacon, and home fries - $7.49!

I was constantly struck by how everyone looked like me - I'm guessing he's a graduate student, and I'm guessing he's a low-wage worker, but its impossible to judge by their race or the way they dress!

And I most enjoyed the beauty of the drive. I love having grown up on the American plains, as I believe I will always find beauty in this simple landscape. The intense cold made everything dry, and the snapping wind pulled the last bits of moisture out of both my cheeks and the snow. A dry, sparkling snow piled in curved patterns over the fields and blew in straight lines across the road until a truck plowed through at 70 mph throwing the snow into the air likes tiny granules of dust. Simply lovely houses nestled near their barns keeping warm amid piles of snow. The simple beauty of the American Midwest. And feeling this, I knew I was home.

No comments: