Saturday, February 20, 2010

The 20 Year Plan

Just for fun, Dave and I laid out a skeleton outline for our family over 20 years in the foreign service. Based on a few simple assumptions, here are some of our more interesting findings:

We would move to our 3rd post in 2015. With Lilly entering 5th grade, Sophia entering 3rd grade, Jake entering Kindergarten and Mei Mei starting preschool, this will be the first time I have some time to myself. This is the first post where I could conceivably have a job.

We would begin our 4th post in 2018. With Lilly entering 8th grade, bidding on this post will be a serious decision. If we want to see our children all stay stable through high school, this will be the time to leave the foreign service. If we want to ensure that each child has their junior and senior year in the same high school, this will be the time to lay out a very serious 10 year plan.

We would begin our 8th post in 2029. This would be the first post where Dave and I would arrive with no children in tow, as Mei Mei will begin her freshman year in college this year. At this point, Mei Mei and Jake could have lived in 10 different countries. Having blown her first 5 years in only 2 countries, Lilly would only have 7 flags under her belt, and Sophia 8. Dave would be a member of the Senior Foreign Service by this time, and eligible for some pretty amazing career choices.

1 comment:

MJC said...

I am amazed at your ability to look and plan that far in the future. I am having a hard time even thinking about where I will be this summer, let alone 20 years from now.
Your 20 year plan looks like so much fun (with maybe a little stress).
Sorry I missed talking with you and Dave the other day. Jon and I will keep you posted on the decision.