Tuesday, January 11, 2011

History

I've known Jon since 3rd grade. He still has a memory of my introducing myself to him at school that year - apparently I made myself look rather silly, and such began a long and close relationship. I have no other friend with whom I have shared so much of my life, and it thrills me to pieces that he and I have stayed in touch.

As my friend through those years, Jon also knows my parents quite well. In fact, our parents became family friends while we were still in high school. They went to the same Sunday School class at church, and we heard regular updates on each other once we went away to college.

So when Jon, his wife Miranda, and his young son Brandon announced they were moving to St. Louis this summer, my parents were happy to help out any way they could. As it turns out, Jon and Miranda moved in a block away from my parents' house, and they share meals together once a week. Talking with Jon and Miranda over the holidays (they were only a block away, after all), they told us how much they've enjoyed having my parents around the corner. It is really comfortable to arrive in a new city, and already have a history with someone.

We had a wonderful time in the states these past 3 weeks. Only spending 10 days in each city meant the time went by far too quickly, and we did not get to see as many people as we hoped. Add in a quick trip to Washington, D.C. for Dave and I and the trip became even more compressed. But I found such joy in every moment I shared with someone, and became very aware of the history I share with each of my friends.

Lori is a friend from Shanghai, and she and I shared lunch in D.C. We jumped immediately to intimate conversation, and stories became more meaningful because we could reference people, times and places.

Karoline is a friend from Kansas City, and she and I shared coffee in Chicago. We knew the interesting questions to ask each other, having become quite skilled at those Catching Up conversations over the years. I met the man she is dating, and felt the difference she spoke about. I may not see her regularly these days, but I have heard a bit about every man she has dated over the last 20 years and that history brought a fun perspective to the double date over dinner that night.

Going back is never the same, and we felt distinctly out of place in many group settings. We were well aware that although we love our old homes and neighborhoods, our current home is here in China. But as I am back in my home this week, I am feeling well aware of the lack of history I share with any of my friends here. I have met many interesting people in Shenzhen, have built a strong support group, and look forward to building those long-term relationships with many of them. But all the same - the newness in these relationships makes life here feel a bit empty these days. Those relationships will grow, and it makes me truly value the large number of friends with whom I share such valuable history.

No comments: