Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Feeling Better?

I sat down this afternoon to post on a news story that I read earlier today.  A Costa Rican diplomat had been kidnapped in Caracas.  According to the Boston Globe, he was the fourth diplomat or diplo-family-member kidnapped in Caracas in the past 6 months.

But when I checked Google News this afternoon, the story had changed.  The top story was now from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, and with a much better headline:  Diplomat Freed After Venezuela Kidnapping Ordeal.  The story says that he's back with his family just over a day after disappearing.  That's good news.  The story says that although the abductors demanded a ransom, they released him under police pressure and with no money paid.  That's good news.

And so I wonder - should this story make me feel safer about our next city, or should it make me feel nervous?

No comments: