Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Real Time

Last summer, we learned that our next post is Venezuela and that we are scheduled to arrive in December of 2012.  Last summer, December 2012 seemed decades away.  This summer, December 2012 seemed decades away.  And then rumors continued that Venezuelan diplomats rarely leave for Caracas on time, and December 2012 seemed both far away and fictitious.

It was hard to take this date seriously.  We've settled in nicely around here, and as no one else is living here temporarily, its easy to forget that we are.  The questions surrounding our departure date made the timeline hard to consider.  I did begin Spanish in September, and I have made no commitments to anything after the beginning of December.  But honestly, I figured that would give me lots of free time come January and February.

I may have been wrong.  Our visas may begin processing tomorrow.  I won't share the details with you (its kinda fun to be on the secret-keeping side of info which moves on a need to know basis).  But should they begin processing tomorrow, we will likely stick with our scheduled departure date, arriving in Caracas around December 31st.

The news made me excited - knowing our plans a bit more firmly makes life much less complicated.  Soon after, the news became sobering.  This means I have only 2 months to plan our move;  and only 2 months left in this home, at this church, at this school and with these friends.

So, tonight I begin making lists.  The next month and a half, I will slowly check off those lists.  And December - should our move come on time - will be manically full of moving deadlines and holiday cheer.

No comments: