Monday, October 31, 2016

The Two Week Bucket List

A phone call last week jolted me into reality, letting me know that my security clearance has come through and I will begin work in two weeks.  I was giddy the rest of the day - so excited to begin this job, so anxious about sorting out my work-life balance, and so aware that I only have two weeks left to explore this town at my leisure!  Luckily, I had plans to meet my friend Johanna at Yoga House for yoga and lunch - all three items which would be on my final bucket list.  The spot was charming, the yoga was challenging, and the company was fabulous. 



After I calmed down, I spent a few days crafting my bucket list.  What does one do with the last two weeks of flexible time in a new city?  Well, I've got a lot of shopping to do - I would love to finish settling in to the house without using family time to shop.  Happily, the rest of my list is significantly less shallow.

1.  Exercise
I've been well aware that Mumbai tastes both delicious and fattening, and that I'll struggle to fit in regular workouts once I begin work.  I've been making a habit of hitting the cardio downstairs three times a week, and attending either yoga or pilates twice a week.  Those are now set in stone for the next two weeks.

2.  Purposeful Socializing
Its been lovely to know that I had a job beginning soon, because it forced me to dive into anything outside of work head first.  When I met someone interesting, I hooked up for coffee again within a week.  When invited to something at school, I almost always joined in.  I built my network quickly and with great joy, and now its time to focus.  There are a few folks I really hope to have some quality time with before my days disappear into the consulate.

3.  Christmas Shopping
If you'll receive an Indian made Christmas gift from me, I need to purchase it and put it in the mail within the next two weeks.  My spare time will decrease just as the holidays ramp up, and it'll be best to cross the actual Christmas shopping off the to do list early.  Also, mail from across the world can be slow at best - that is to say, I may be on time rather than early.

There are a few things already on the calendar and a few small errands I've been putting off which will complete the list.  Lets see how intentional I can be with these next two weeks.

No comments: