Thursday, August 09, 2007

One of Those Days

I know moving is an endeavour commonly undertaken. I understand that accompanying one's child to the doctor happens regularly as well. These actions in themselves are, although mildly stressful, hardly on the level of things-that-make-you-cry. So I'm left perplexed at why some days feel so frustrating.

A woman from Allied Worldwide provided me with a free in-home survey this morning. We discussed the shipping process, how Allied Worldwide guards my precious possessions from in-home to in-new-home, how we'll always be able to see exactly where in the world our container is (pretty cool). We toured the house, inventorying what to pack. We discussed cost and timing. She was very nice - professional, knowledgeable, friendly and obviously trying to make the move as stress-free for me as possible.

S-- and I went to the children's hospital this afternoon to see an ear, nose and throat doctor. While, like Ms. Allied, Dr. ENT was clearly knowledgeable, she was anything but friendly and clearly her job description does not include making my life stress-free. Dr. ENT recommends S-- continue the prescription we just paid $54 / 3-weeks for and have yet to see any results with. Dr. ENT is not surprised by the lack of results - she said we should give it a few months before we'll know if its working.

A few months!

Dr. ENT referred us to an audiologist. Ms. Audio ran tests, which she found inconclusive. Ms. Audio recommends we visit her again in 3 months. Shoot.

In the 100 degree heat, I started the baking car. Trying to temper these thoughts as they bounced through my head, I turned on NPR. All Things Considered was airing a string of pieces on China. Here are the three stories I heard:

1: Lead in Kids Jewelry from China Prompts Ban

2: Athletes Struggle for Air Amid China's Pollution

3: Pollution May Cancel Out China's Economic Growth

Yes, as I'm leaving the hospital full of doctors telling me that although they think S-- probably has some sort of minor problem, they have no idea what that problem may be and would like to keep a close eye on her, I hear stories about how unhealthy a place China is to live.

The level of air pollution on a standard day in Beijing is apparently 2-3 times higher than the orange air quality days in St. Louis - the ones where they tell you not to go outside unless you have to. Over 750,000 people die prematurely as a result of air pollution in China.

Add to that that we bear the full cost of shipping, only to be reimbursed to a point. Weigh in that we apparently don't want to buy toys or furniture in China - it looks as if we might not even want to buy them in America!

And I start to think,

What are we doing?

No comments: