Monday, October 08, 2007

Brunch in Jinqiao

Sunday morning continued our lovely expat weekend.

We met Sheila and two of her girls for lunch. I've mentioned this family before. Sheila is our agent, and her girls have babysat for us as well as kept us company on other meals. They're a lovely family - the girls are very spirited and outgoing, and Sheila is pleasantly down-to-earth. The family lacks the pretentiousness that John found rife in Shanghai. This we enjoy.

Sheila and her girls took us out to Jinqiao for brunch. For expats, brunch is the thing to do on a Sunday. Every major western restaurant advertises a brunch. Many of them provide teachers at arts and crafts tables, or set up playgrounds for the kids. Brunch is not about the food - its a see-and-be-seen affair, but its also a chance to enjoy a meal with both your children and your friends. You may make it calmly through your entire glass of wine, because the children are enjoying themselves a few feet away.

And not only did we go to brunch. We went to brunch in Jinqiao. Located deep in Pudong - where everything is under 10 years old - one could easily forget they're in China. Most restaurants were American - none were Chinese. The mall where they were located also contained a large import grocery, a large sporting goods store, and an English language bookstore. Across the street is a home goods store, much like Home Depot. Sitting on the patio of the restaurants, we looked out along a small fish pond with children feeding the ducks and roller skating down the path. Across the path was a large school, which looked brand new. This is the reason people live out this far. I'm sure many people enjoy recreating their home country around them, but I won't throw everyone into that camp. The international schools are located out here, and so the international community has come.

I realize I'm taking a negative approach to Jinqiao. Shanghai is a very international city. When speaking with people familiar with China, we would often hear that Shanghai is not truly China and our adjustment will be more like a move to Europe. Making an exception for the language, I agree. That being the case, moving further out for a community of like people seems like a shame. I'm enjoying being an easy walk from Shanghai's old town, from the antique market, from the shopping center. I'm enjoying the smells and sounds of the side streets, where local Chinese live, eat and work. And although I'm unable to participate in it at all, I'm happy knowing that I'm close to it. I'm soaking it up.

That said, I know I'll make many quick trips out for the grocery, the bookstore, and the Carrefour next door. And if we're still here in a few more years, I can't say I won't want to live within walking distance of my children's school.

No comments: