Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Thirsting for knowledge

Shanghai reminds me of an up and coming actress.

Always stealing the spotlight - although no one seems to mind; the spotlight always seems well deserved.

Always talking about itself - although everyone seems all to pleased to know more about this vibrant city.

I've found a new bookstore. It's a lovely walk from our current digs, but I fear it may be a pretty long ride from our new home. I'll just have to take full advantage for the next month. It's called Garden Books, and I can't get the website to work so I'm not sure the link will operate, either. They have a lovely cafe with loads of gelato flavors and some comfy chairs. They also have a play area with toys and a glass floor - L-- and S-- really enjoyed themselves while I had a cup of coffee and glanced through a few books. I'm disappointed in the selection of children's books, especially for a store that seems so actively to engage parents. A few Dr. Suess' and a few Cliffords' basically make up the toddler selections. We've not found much more than this in the city so far - anyone looking for gift ideas, children's books is our #1 request!

But what they lack in story books, they more than make up in their Chinese cultural section. There are books on learning how to speak, learning how to write, the cultural significance of food, coffee table books showing Shanghai 50 years ago, 100 years ago, books on recent history, books on ancient history. The bookstore was a treasure trove of information on a land that I'm thirsting for knowledge on.

I never studied China in school. This seems ridiculous to me. I took American history, which covered small slices of Latin America. I took European history. I've learned some Middle Eastern history through Christian lore and current events. But I knew nothing about China and greater Asia's rich history until I started researching for this move. China has an amazingly long written history - so long that I feel I need to take notes and put together a timeline to put everything in place. When its finished, I'll post it - but don't be looking for it anytime soon.

I picked up the October edition of That's Shanghai - I'm really enjoying this magazine. Well written, although containing a surprising number of editing mistakes, the magazine is as arrogantly about Shanghai as they come. But like I said, if a city deserves to be self-absorbed, its this one. James Fallows of the Atlantic Monthly, is currently spending an extended amount of time in China and did an interview with the magazine. He describes Shanghai quite well:

"It's hard not to be struck by its physical presence... you can walk around in the streets with ease. unlike Beijing, it is more a Weterner's idea of a city, with its parks and its streets full of life. When I first visited the city in the 1980s, I was struck by the architecture; I thought then that it must be the best example of preserved Western architecture from the first half of the last century to be found anywhere. There is also about today's city - somewhat self-conscious, somewhat natural - a 'hip-ness', a distinctive sense of style. It's a wonderful city, especially for people of my children's age - in their 20s."

I agree with his description. The 20s age bracket does seem to be Shanghai's target, with the bar scene quite lively. But the Mommy and Daddy set seems to be digging in their heels now as well, as family activities and playgroups are popping up everywhere, as are organic produce and supervised playrooms at restaurants. It is certainly a hip urban setting.

His description of China I find dead on as well:

"Fallows' most powerful impression of China after almost a year traveling around the country? 'My initial one: what an intriguing combination of things that are cotrolled and things that are seemingly out of control. While certain aspects of society are under firm state control, everything else is a free-for-all, from traffic to businesses that spring up - I find that latter characteristic rather invigorating.'"

For a Harvard and Oxford grad, Fallows seems to be a pretty sharp guy.

No comments: