Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A Rainy Day

Thank God for rainy days.

My parents left China today, to return to their home in America. The rain poured all day long. It fit my mood.

We piled into the car in the pouring rain, hiding under the roof as we packed their luggage and then watching through the streaking windows as we rode the hour-long drive to the airport. My mom and I chatted in the backseat, where S-- slept. L-- and her Poppa hung out in the middle, until she fell asleep 5 minutes from the airport. She awoke as we neared home, looked to her right, and confusedly asked Where's Poppa?

He's gone home, I replied. We just said good-bye.

The rain fit my glum mood, truly. But it also served as a lovely blessing. Because of the rain, we spent the morning holed up in our apartment. Nana played with the girls all morning, and my dad and I finished a project we had started. We all shared a meal together at home.

And after we returned from the airport, our friends came over. Tuesday afternoons we have a playgroup at our home, and rainy days make for particularly cozy playgroups. Within a few minutes, our melancholy moods had disappeared. It is always sad to say good-bye to people we love, especially for such a long time. But here we are at home, and surrounded by good friends. In such a circumstance, I couldn't ask for more.

No comments: