Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Bi-Homal

I have not reached bi-lingual status during my year on China, but I do believe that I have reached Bi-Homal status. Shanghai is certainly my home - my friends are there, my bed and my children's toys, my grocery store and my routines are in Shanghai. It is certainly my home. But since arriving on Friday in Chicago, I feel completely at home in an entirely different way. I fall into comfortable old habits, talk to people I've known for years, and everything I do feels easy and natural. I realize I am fully a friendly American as I hold conversations with the Hispanic woman at the post office and the Indian woman at Dunkin Donuts. I don't think twice about driving, but rather get behind the wheel and go as if I've been driving all year. America is my home, and maybe always will be. The interesting question is how true that will be for my children - already, S-- has spent over half of her life abroad. By September, L-- will reach the same milestone. Where will their home be?

No comments: