Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Relaxing in Singapore

Time, she does slip quickly past.

Today I relax alone in Singapore, as Dave attends business meetings and the girls entertain Nana and Poppa in Shanghai. But these 2 days of relaxation lie in the middle of a wildly busy 8 weeks.

Already, we have seen the arrival and departure of Grammy and Grandpa. Their itinerary included revisits to Beijing, the Great Wall and Yangshuo, plus plenty of visits to the playground in Shanghai. We have also seen the arrival of Nana and Poppa, Dave's and my journey to Borneo in Malaysia, and our arrival in Singapore for a few days. These few langorous days end for me as we land in Shanghai on Thursday afternoon, diving headlong into the craziness that is the end of the spring term.

It surprises me that so much of life follows a semester schedule, but it seems that none of us easily escape the school year cycle. So much current business stems from the ending of the spring semester and the beginning of the summer. The Wonder Center will close in a few weeks, likely forever. Close friends will leave for the summer, and other close friends will leave Shanghai for good. A term of Music Together will end, and my first term as a teacher will begin. My role in leadership of the Women's Ministry has begun, and Bible Study has stepped into its summer hibernation. But most interestingly, together with Nana and Poppa we will travel as a family to Yunnan province, and then enjoy 1 more week in Shanghai before splitting again.

With only minimal internet and computer access, I found today wildly relaxing. Dave's meetings didn't start until 10 this morning, and so we enjoyed a leisurely breakfast together before I headed to the gym and swimming pool. With nothing planned for the day, a morning spent at the gym and swimming pool felt beautifully luxurious and by the time I felt prepared to leave the hotel and begin my day in proper, I was well rested and full of energy. I lunched alone, shopped along Orchard Road, and made it back in time to join Dave for dinner in Little India. As I've spent most of my budget, tomorrow will include more time at the pool and less time at the shops. But as its my last day of relaxation for days, weeks, probably months, I have no fears of boredom.

No comments: