Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Update to Scene 3

The girls went to school this morning. Dave went to work. I went to Bible Study. So Wendy went to the new house to meet the painter. I called her over lunch for an update. Another wonderful dialogue followed. I should point out that I avoid telephone conversations with non-native English speakers at all costs. Especially mobile phone conversations. Far too difficult.

Wendy: Hello, Lynne.
Lynne: Hi, Wendy. What's going on today?
Wendy: The furniture was delivered. It is in the upstairs bedroom.
Lynne: Great.
Wendy: The painter came. He will return this afternoon, or maybe tomorrow.
Lynne: How does it look? Did he do a good job?
Wendy: It looks just the same.
Lynne: I'm sorry. I must not have heard you. How does it look?
Wendy: It looks just the same. He painted a few spots and it does not look different.
Lynne: He didn't paint the whole wall?
Wendy: No, just a few spots.
Lynne: And it does not look better?
Wendy: No, it looks just the same. There are still spots on the wall.
Lynne: Did you tell him to paint the whole wall?
Wendy: Yes, I told him. He says that his boss only instructed him to paint the spots.
Lynne: The man who was there yesterday?
Wendy: Yes, the same man.
Lynne: I think this is a bad man. I think he does not like me.
Wendy: (laughing) Yes. He said yesterday that the walls are very clean and do not need painting.
Lynne: This makes me very angry. (a stream of rambling about movers coming tomorrow and furniture being against the walls and people not listening or doing what they say they will do). This makes me very angry.
Lynne: What do you think we should do?
Wendy: I think we should let the paint dry, and see how it looks. If it looks bad, we will ask him to return and paint the whole wall.
Lynne: (another stream of rambling about furniture in the room and busy schedules and kids sleeping in the house and ventilation) So we need to wait?
Wendy: Yes, we need to wait.

I fear that this bodes quite badly for cooperation with our landlord on any problems we may encounter. Impractical. Translation: lovely, but stupid. At least I have Wendy to help me! Where would I be without my own, trusted, personal translator and assistant?

No comments: