Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Missing Grace

A favorite game for my children is to pretend that their parents are dead.  I take this as a compliment, that we have made our girls feel so confident and safe that being orphaned seems like pure fiction.  So this morning on the way to school, it came as no surprise when Sophia told me I wish I didn't have a mom.  I told her that if I were not her mom, I would miss her very much.

And at that moment it struck me - that is how I feel about Grace.

Grace is what we would have named the orphan from China who we planned to adopt.  We waited years for her, although we were never matched to her.  She would have joined our family within the next 9 months, but we decided to stop the adoption procedure this summer.

I insinuated to Sophia that even if she had never been born, I would still love her.  Even though Grace will never join our family, I still love her.  And sometimes my heart hurts because I miss her.

No comments: