Monday, November 12, 2012

List #3 - Consumables

We've been shopping a lot lately, and asking a lot of questions lately.  Space is becoming at a premium in our basement with the bags of paper towels and boxes of clothes, everything sorted out by their final destination.  I'm sending more questions on a daily basis, and receiving answers every day.  I'm feeling more in control and more comfortable with this move every day.

But still overwhelming is List #3 - Consumables.  Shops in Caracas have trouble keeping basic items on the shelves - things like milk and meat, coffee and toilet paper can disappear from the grocery shelves for days or weeks at a time.  This is because Hugo Chavez has some crazy policies.  He has instituted price controls on basic goods - goods like milk and meat, coffee and toilet paper.  Stores can not sell them for higher than the prices set by the government.  Unfortunately, the price is set so low that most producers can not afford to produce them, either.  This is a vast oversimplification of the problem, I'm sure.  But it begins to explain why we get to bring our groceries with us.

A consumables shipment is yet another destination for our household goods.  Some of our household will travel by air, arriving a 3-4 after they leave America (now, Venezuela will not allow them to leave America until we have been there for 3-4 weeks, so that's a bummer).  Some of our household will go into storage, where we will not see them again for years and years.  Some of our household will ride on the slow boat, arriving in Caracas months after we have been there.  This is the furniture and the boxes of books and the things that make our home, but which we can live without (we will have a furnished apartment).  The consumables shipment should travel on the slowboat as well, but it follows different rules.  The consumables shipment contains consumable items, not only food but also things like wrapping paper and baby wipes.  Its crummy that we will have such trouble shopping in Caracas, but the consumables shipment will be a real blessing.

At this point, though, planning consumables leaves me feeling overwhelmed.  First, we have to decide what to bring.  Which groceries do we need over a two year period?  How quickly do we consume a whole bottle of olive oil? 

Next, we have to figure out how long each item will last.  It may be 6 months before we see our consumables, so quick expiration dates are out.  And groceries keep surprising me with their short expiration dates.  Natural peanut butter should not sit on the shelf for more than a few months, although peanut butter with sugar added can last for over a year.  Olive oil and honey can last nearly indefinitely, but jellies and jams are questionable.  Luckily, toiletries and paper products will easily last the test of time, and so a good portion of my shopping list is without thought.  Well, except for the diapers.  How many diapers will we need?  How many Pull-Ups?  Presumably, Annika will be potty-trained within the next 6-9 months, but what about sleeping through the night?  And what about wipes?

I'd better stop - this is becoming overwhelming.

2 comments:

MLPU said...

Hello Blogger,

Sorry I have not read enough yet to know your name. I want to introduce myself - I'm Michelle and currently a Consultant (likely moving on to other things soon). I'll be moving with my husband to Caracas this summer (pending visas). I stumbled on your blog after Googling "what consumables should I bring to Venezuela". We're starting to think about what we will need to ship to make life comfortable at post. I look forward to hearing about your experiences so I know a little about what to expect via your blog. This will be my first post as an EFM and I'm sure I am naive. I hate to ask, since I'm sure you have a lot going on, but would you mind sharing your recommended consumables? Again, I look forward to reading more and thanks for any advice you care to offer.

Best,
Michelle

stay-at-homework said...

Yeah, I'm more than happy to help out. How can I get in touch with you?