Monday, March 11, 2013

What We've Been Reading

A few weeks ago, I posted that What We've Been Reading on Venezuela comes primarily from periodicals.  That is even more true these days, as Venezuela makes a new headline every few hours.  Most mornings, I scan google news, reading the top headlines for each category.  On my computer, one of those categories is Caracas, Venezuela.  Lately, after scanning the top headlines for each category, I then read many of the stories under the Caracas headline.  I find myself gravitating toward a few places regularly.  As I'm not posting my own analysis, I thought I'd point you to the reporting and analysis where I'm finding resonance.  And really, their reporting and analysis are much better than mine.

Caracas Chronicles  has been my blog of choice for the past few months.  The two primary authors are both Venezuelans who live abroad and their writing has been reviewed as "razor sharp, informed, witty, scholarly, irreverent and above all intelligent; an invaluable map for a poorly charted land" by Rory Carroll, an expert on the area.  They posted a truly fabulous eulogy when Chavez died.

The Devil's Excrement is one that I only recently added to my reading list.  I believe its the number 2 spot for English language blogging on Venezuela, and takes much the same perspective as Caracas Chronicles.

And here's my current favorite:  Fox News.  I'm usually no fan of Fox News, but their stories have repeatedly drawn me in over the past few weeks.  And furthermore, their reporting has been more on point than anything else I'm reading.  Read the blogs above for analysis.  For the facts, read anything that Fox News posts about Venezuela.  Someone there is on point.  Most recently, All eyes on opposition leader Henrique Capriles as Venezuela prepares to replace Hugo Chavez.



1 comment:

Nomads By Nature said...

I just looked at your first blog recommendation and the eulogy. Amazing and a great source! THanks for sharing it. Will check out your other links today.