Friday, August 23, 2013

Clase de Musica

I'm doing something new this fall.

Since I quit my full-time job to stay at home with my family, I have had resume fillers.  I've edited newsletters, written travel articles and taught music classes.  I've been paid token amounts of money for each of these.  I didn't do them for the money - I did them because it would be fun.  Fun, with the added bonus of honing my writing and editing skills, or of getting my kids free music classes!

But all that changes now.  This fall, I have a job.

It began in much the same way as the little resume fillers from before.  Annika benefitted from music classes when we lived in Virginia, and no such classes exist here in Caracas.  So, I toyed with the idea of teaching music classes in Caracas.  As it happened, I mentioned that idea to my friend Jeannine last fall.  She arrived in Caracas a few weeks before me, and the seed had already been planted amongst the other embassy parents before our family even touched Venezuelan soil.

Interest grew like wildfire, and so I began the process of opening my center.  What felt in January like another resume filler has grown organically and beautifully into what now feels like a legitimate small business.

Registration is now open for my Fall Session of Music Together.  I've got more people interested than I ever expected and I plan to run two classes per week beginning in September.  When I first began the process, I set a goal of filling two classes per week by the end of the year.  I'm nearing that goal before I even begin teaching, and may need to raise my expectations of this little business!

No comments: