Friday, April 04, 2014

Such a Week!

It frequently happens that after I've been in a new place for a few months, I grow bored.  I'm not involved in anything, have nothing for myself on the calendar.  I have no responsibilities for anything except my children.  When that happens, I usually rush to find a few productive ways to use my time and am quickly too busy.

I'm surprised that its taken so long to reach this point.  I suppose that hanging out with a 3 year old, I was more able to enjoy my free time.  Or it could be that hanging out with a 3 year old, I have no time to myself.  Bored as I may be, there are no windows of time to fill with projects.

Still, I volunteered for a few things which all began this week.  The sun came out as well, and this entire week has flown beautifully past.

It began with a Shanghai Reunion.  Last week, two of the gals from ladies' Bible study in Shanghai met me at a boutique hotel in DC for a weekend full of good food, good conversation, plenty of walking and loads of the Spirit.  I came home so refreshed and eager to be with my family again.

Sports practice began this week, with Sophia playing softball and Lilly progressing in soccer.  Practices take over two evenings every week, and games will be our Saturdays for the rest of our time in Virginia.  I write it as drudgery, but we really enjoy the excuse to spend so much time in parks, on playgrounds and on the sidelines of some really fun games.

I took on a few volunteer projects, both of which require my concentration and my internet connection.  My concentration is only available in the evenings, and then it is fleeting.  Sadly, my internet connection fades most evenings and these projects are moving slower than I anticipated.


But even so, the relaxed tone set by the girls' weekend has lasted through the week.  Maybe because of the lovely spring weather, we've all been more cheerful.  Maybe because music class finished last week, and Annika and I had more free time.  We explored the National Gallery on Wednesday and we went back into the district this morning for an amazing morning of coffee, chocolate croissants and the Young Readers Center at the Library of Congress.  Someday I will have a home, and it will have a room very much like the Young Readers Center.  Bright and cheerful, with high ceilings and cozy chairs, and just the right number truly fabulous books.  It doesn't get much better than this.

No comments: