Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Assuming It Ends Well

All's well that ends well, and I now feel fairly confident that our housing issues will end well. Our landlord visited this morning, surrounded by two of his agents and two of my agents. The cortege seemed rather ridiculous almost immediately, because our landlord is in fact a very nice man fully set both on keeping his tenants happy and on maintaining his property. He was disappointed in the paint job on the balcony, and will have it repainted within a few days. He apologized for the situation with the washing machine, and will meet a repairman himself within the next few days. If a problem remains at that point, he will go to the store himself and buy a replacement. A plan has been made for every remaining repair, and I feel quite hopeful that they will happen within the next week.

By the time our next guests arrive, our home should be fully functioning.

The last two nights were the first we spent in our new home without guests down the hall. Although it feels a bit lonely, it is also nice to feel fully moved in and in our home. An ayi starts tomorrow, so the helpers washing dishes and watching S-- will be quickly replaced.

I have found a Bible study nearby with a few women from my complex whose children are the same age as S--, and who I seem to have quite a bit in common with. I have clicked with a few women from L--'s school, and have plans to meet a family at the park with S-- next week. I still get together with my friends from Pudong regularly. With the solution of my housing problems and the hiring of an ayi, I think my life will quickly revert to simple and happy.

No comments: