Monday, November 24, 2008

The Face of the Working Poor

Shanghai has a sizable expatriate population, with a number of free magazines serving that population. Because I'm a bit of a magazine junkie, I pick up a handful every week and peruse the restaurant reviews and editorials. Most magazines lack the level of journalism to make their stories interesting, but one week I was pleasantly surprised.

That's Shanghai ran a feature story on the man on the street - the local Chinese people who literally work on the street, earn very little money, and keep Shanghai running smoothly. We use quite a few of these vendors ourselves. Everyone does.

I'd love to copy the story here, but I don't think it would be ethical. So follow the link below to a fun piece on "the unsung heroes of the city." And keep in mind the exchange rate - $1 = 6.8 RMB.

Meet Your Man on the Street

No comments: