Thursday, October 29, 2009

Filling My Days

With Sophia beginning school this year, I thought I would have so much time on my hands. I worried, in fact. I worried that I would be bored and lonely, no longer constantly surrounded by children.

And so, I began to volunteer. Partly because of those fears. Partly out of a strong desire to begin putting my time and energy toward something outside of myself. That social worker side of me was calling to come out again, so I let her.

And now I am working on so much that I hardly have time to nap every afternoon! Everything I'm involved in is really quite exciting. I'm sad to think that I'll be leaving it behind in less than a year. Take a look!

Bible Study:
I host a weekly Ladies Bible Study in our home. I have been hosting for nearly a year now, and I love it. Our group of ladies has changed dramatically from last year. And throughout the group, I constantly find it a refreshing and uplifting group of women who I cherish spending time with every week. Further, we are now in our second Beth Moore study. And what a treat! Our group is diverse, with ladies from different nations and different religious backgrounds. But each of us finds Beth Moore's studies challenging and interesting. We each find our faith deepened, and find the Bible newly interesting. We are currently studying The Tabernacle of the Old Testament. I was skeptical - how can this be interesting? But my goodness, it is! What a treat!

The Giving Tree:
I have taken a key role in administering a holiday program this year - much like the Holiday Friends program I ran when I worked at Beyond Housing. The Giving Tree matches expat organizations (primarily International Schools, but also large corporations and social clubs) with schools for children in need throuh Shanghai. Donors receive a shopping bag assigned to a specific child. They fill that bag with new coats, shoes and toys. They shop as if for Christmas, but they deliver as if for Chinese New Year. Its a lovely system, an easy sell to donors, and a wonderful way for expats to help out this community. We remain so separate from the local community during the year, that people seem quite eager to give back.

Music Together and Half the Sky Foundation:
This is the project which has captured my heart. I am working with a small and committed group of volunteers to bring the music into the orphanages of China. We hope to tailor the Music Together program to an orphanage setting, which is easily done. The biggest challenge will be crossing the language gap, and figuring out funding and support. But we've already crossed the first challenge. Through Half the Sky Foundation, we will run two trial classes in an orphanage in Changzhou. Half the Sky's premise of providing a stable and nurturing adult for every child in the orphanage pairs perfectly with Music Together's concept of teaching music through participation and modeling. Every child deserves to have music fill their days - maybe especially a child living in an orphanage.

And Sophia only goes to school 3 mornings per week - for 3 hours each hit! Photography has taken the backseat. You'll notice this blog has, too. Because lets face it - I'm not giving up that afternoon nap!

No comments: