Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Passed the Test

A few things passed their first tests today.

#1: The Black-Out Curtains
While Annika still woke up at around 5:30am, her sisters slept until 8:20. I hope that whoever created black-out curtains got a gold star for it.

#2: The Hotel Room
We moved into the wrong room last night - a 3-bedroom, rather than the 2-bedroom we reserved. But this morning, the 3-bedroom didn't seem so bad. It does have the girls sleeping as far from our bedroom as possible, which is a definite downside - especially if we ever want baby Annika out of our room. But otherwise, the set-up is quite comfortable. Dave talked the management down in price to a reasonable monthly rate, and so we will consider staying in this hotel (cum serviced apartment, should we stay) long term.

#3: The School
Sophia had an enrollment interview this afternoon, to determine her spot in the school. Taking place the day before school begins, I assumed this was a formality and put no stock in it. So, when the staff informed me that Sophia is a lovely child and a good fit for the school, and will be at the top of the Waiting List, I was floored. I explained that no one had told me we were on a waiting list. She very patiently pointed out that no one told me Sophia was even admitted... because she wasn't, yet.
This caused a bit of stress and prayer. And when I changed my language with Sophia from you'll be here tomorrow to probably next week, I looked the administrator in the eye. She nodded her head.
And then, she worked some magic. I got a call a few hours later saying that they had maneuvered their program a bit, and could fit our preschooler in. She can start tomorrow, jettisoning their entire interview process.
Other things have impressed me already - no school uniforms, a community vibe, meet the teacher night the evening before class starts. But this one left me pleased as punch.

#4: The Teachers
Meet the Teacher Night began at 5:00. We were on the grounds at 4:59. We went straight to Lilly's classroom, because she was still excited and "only a little bit scared." We found the class lists, and then searched for her classroom. Her grip on my hand grew tighter with each step, and she began to shrink into my skirt as we entered her building. Stiff-armed, I pulled her strongly into the classroom. Mrs. B was on her knees on the carpet, talking animatedly to another student. Lilly shrunk a bit further. Then Mrs. B turned to us, and I introduced myself. Mrs B introduced herself to Lilly, buzzing her hand in the air but promising not to sting. And then Lilly introduced herself, using her full name. This had stuck in Mrs B's head, because it is a truly fantastic name. And then she asked if Lilly knew the book Lilly and the Purple Plastic Purse. Her hand loosened as she explained that we have the book on our shelf. When we found her name posted on her cubby, she let go of my hand to touch the nametag. A few more minutes, and we left for Sophia's classroom, where they were playing with playdough. Sophia barely spoke to us the entire time, making paintings for her teachers instead. She was sold instantly, but Mrs B passed the test as well.

As we walked away, Lilly said that she's excited about school tomorrow.

And then,
I did meet the teacher tonight, but I didn't get to meet any of the kids tonight. So I'm still a little bit scared. Oh, a ramp! Can I run up it?

So, tomorrow will be another test for her. But I think she'll pass.

No comments: