Thursday, October 28, 2010

All in a Day's Work

Dave left for Abu Dhabi this evening. Actually, he'll sit in the Hong Kong airport until midnight and technically leave for Abu Dhabi tomorrow. We expect that he will be gone for 3 weeks, and it was crummy to say good-bye. He'll be missing the school Halloween party tomorrow, and Halloween itself on Sunday night. He'll miss at least 2 movie nights. He'll miss a large portion of Annika's life thus far. He'll miss too many bathtimes and storytimes and afternoons at the playground. Three weeks is a long time to be away from family, and it made us all sad.

So sad that I am honestly contemplating the girls to Abu Dhabi for their fall break next week. Am I crazy enough to fly alone with 3 young girls? Its an 8 hour flight, with a ferry exchange on this side and an hour-long taxi ride on that side. Plus, its overnight. Any votes?

On the bright side, I made pita bread tonight for dinner. Who knew it was so simple? I also made hummus, which didn't turn out quite right because I couldn't find Middle Eastern tahini - which is, we learned, rather different from Asian tahini. But, after a google search, I learned how to make my own. Who knew tahini was so simple to make? What a feast we'll have, as soon as I can find sesame seeds.

Check out these babies!



It may not be high quality photography (okay, its definitely not). But I was just so excited that I had to share.

In Shanghai, I learned how to cook and bake because I missed the foods from home. I've gotten pretty good at brownies, pies, sweet breads, plus soups, curries and a really mean loaf of honey wheat bread. Now that we're in Shenzhen, I'm missing all of the world-class restaurants in Shanghai. I'm needing to learn more interesting foods - starting with hummus, tzatziki, pita bread and tahini. Lets say its in honor of Dave's first trip to the Middle East.

1 comment:

sm00 said...

Hilarious--I made pita bread for the first time yesterday too!