Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Loving SIS

One of the facts of life living abroad is that our children attend expensive private schools. However, being both expensive and exclusive does not guarantee a strong curriculum or dedicated teachers. We loved The Wonder Center. We were very disappointed in Tiny Tots. Despite mixed reviews, I was looking forward to SCIS in Shanghai, but with our quick transfer to Shenzhen both girls are now at Shekou International School (SIS).

All things considered, I would probably still prefer Lilly do kindergarten in a Montessori or a Reggio Emilia program. And I would certainly prefer that for Sophia. But as neither is available here, I must say that we've landed quite well.

This is currently on my mind because I spent last night at the elementary school's Curriculum Night. The teachers gave short workshops on the school curriculum, namely Everyday Mathematics and Writer's Workshop. During his introduction, one of the teachers explained why he loves teaching at SIS. Partly for all of the standard reasons - good facilities, good administration, good co-workers (all true). But also because the school has invested in fantastic curriculum, which he finds a joy to teach. From the presentations last night, and what I've heard about these curriculum before, I wholeheartedly agree. I don't know if education has changed dramatically since I was a kid (probably), but Lilly certainly benefits from a wonderful style of teaching.

Further, the school communicates well. We have already had two conferences with the teachers, and been invited to informational meetings like last night's. The school has open classrooms, where I can pop in whenever I like. The student-teacher ratio is low, with only 14 children in Lilly's class. And the teachers are accessible - they run classroom websites, updated weekly; they send out classroom newsletters every week, with exactly what students are working on a good questions to ask at home; they share their cell phone numbers and email addresses. And Lilly's teacher has her working at her own level, rather than following the curve of the class. Each of our teachers know their students well, and clearly enjoy their jobs.

May I keep going? The art studio is truly an art studio, with beautiful natural light and tall stools at wide work stations. The kids have swimming at the outdoor pool every week. The library is well stocked with plenty of fantastic books. Lilly is allowed to choose any book she likes to borrow during her library period. And then I am allowed to borrow 10 more books. We've been going every week, to load up on some fantastic material. We rarely read from our own library anymore!

As extra benefits, our commute is fantastic and the other moms are truly lovely. I would like to see music as a more integral part of their young curriculum, but I otherwise have no complaints. Praise God for placing Lilly and Sophia in the perfect place this year.

I'll admit, as much as I want Dave in the Foreign Service, I kind of hope we can finish out the year here.

No comments: