Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Avian Flu

Dave and I heard rumors that a child had died of the avian flu in the Shenzhen area over the weekend. We also heard rumors that travel and from Hong Kong was being restricted due to babies dying from horrible strains of the flu virus, possibly linked to the avian flu. We spent the weekend in Shenzhen, just across the border from Hong Kong. We spent some time at a zoo with loads of birds within arms reach. We rarely washed our hands.

So when L-- woke up with a temperature of over 100.3 this morning, we acted with due paranoia. I made an immediate appointment with the only doctor available all day - a French family practice doctor. We were ushered into the room immediately, and he very nicely cajoled L-- into opening her mouth for him and allowing his little light access to her ears and nose. Her temperature had returned to normal, and he asked me why I had brought her in this morning.

I was hesitant to admit the real answer. Well, we were in Shenzhen this weekend and we heard there was an outbreak of avian flu, and she had a fever this morning... I trailed off.

His expression changed to one of exasperation. He became no less friendly. He seemed more exasperated with rumors and public health than with me.

One child died of the flu in Hong Kong. It was a specific strain of the virus, which is both bad and common. He clearly had other health problems as well. This is not the avian flu, and it is no reason not to travel to Hong Kong or Shenzhen. Loads of people die of the flu every year; even in my country; even in your country.

My paranoia fully cured, I was still glad we brought her in. She probably has mild bronchitis and he gave us a prescription for her cough and inflamed throat, which I promptly lost on the way home. It has since occurred to me that the American Embassy in China would probably contact us if there were a viable health threat in the area.

We have received repeated emails from the Embassy warning us about travel to Tibet. In a quick tangent, I was able to hear a Chinese press conference translated into English on the cab ride to the doctor's office this morning. They took questions about Tibet at that time. I heard nothing about violence or oppression of minorities. But the Chinese government made itself quite clear.

Our position has not changed. If the Dalai Lama will admit that Tibet and Taiwan are both integral parts of China, there will be no more problem. The Dalai Lama must admit this not only in words, but also in his actions and the actions of those groups worldwide acting and protesting on his behalf.

No comments: