Wednesday, March 05, 2008

The Ayi Search Begins Anew

The temperature topped 60 degrees in Shanghai today. On our way home from music class, we couldn't help but walk slowly and enjoy the sunshinee, the breezes and playing in the grass. A 3 year old boy was climbing trees, and L-- made friends with him. They climbed trees together, he showed her how to ride his bike, and they ran in and out of my line of vision. Watching her actively interact with a child close to her age was wonderful, and convinced me that she needs more interaction with older toddlers.

At one point, the two children found a large crack in the sidewalk which had created a small rock. This rock was shaped like a triangle, going to a neat point where it had fallen away from the sidewalk. After playing with this puzzle piece for a while, she lost interest and ran off.

Unfortunately, enough interest remained that she kept the sharp piece of concrete held firmly in her soft little hand. And then she fell. As you can imagine, her rock slit her finger open. The gash was a good one, but not deep. I gathered up my shaking, sobbing baby and headed for the bathroom in the clubhouse. But S-- had no interest in leaving. What is a mother to do?

The little boy's ayi stepped in immediately. She helped me herd S-- toward the bathroom. She helped guide our stroller toward the bathroom as well. She kept S-- entertained while I washed the dirt out of L--'s fresh cut. And the little boy offered many words of comfort to L--, as well as frequent requests to see her blood.

This ayi was fantastic. She helped me tremendously, while still keeping her charges under control. When she recommended an ayi friend of hers to me, I jumped on the suggestion.

Chen, her friend, arrived at our home for an interview at 7:00 this evening. The girls were finishing their dinner, so Chen sat at the table with us and we chatted over a box of delivery pizza. She has years of experience with Western families and with children. She has an 8 year old daughter of her own, and lives west of here. She cooks Italian and Chinese food - no complaints by us! But she is paid more than I am willing to match, and she currently leaves work 2 hours before I want an ayi to leave. Her English was fantastic, including her pinyin. She related quite well to both of the girls. And I really like her.

We made an offer to her. She will discuss with her husband and let me know.

Prayer Request: that God will deliver the perfect ayi to us, at the perfect time.

No comments: