Friday, July 25, 2008

The Clumsy Expatriate

I'm no athlete. I never played on a team in high school, and with good reason. I still close my eyes when a ball flies toward me, even if I'm wielding a wooden bat.

But I wouldn't call myself clumsy, either. I'm not prone to falling down or running into things.

Until recently. I'd say that within the past 10 months, I've gained a new propensity for running into people.

I would swear that I never ran into people before I moved to China. I could move through a packed shopping mall without touching a soul. I could ride my bike without swerving madly to miss someone in front of me.

In China, I can't even walk down the sidewalk without nearly crashing into someone. You would think it worse with the stroller, but people seem somehow afraid of such a monstrosity - two children? did you birth them both? how lucky for you! - and seem to move out of my way at the last minute. I always win in that game of chicken, which gives me false confidence when I'm moving as a solo individual. On a bike ride to the grocery store, a quick walk through the store, and a bike return back home I nearly ran into or slammed sidelong into at least 4 people.

As maddening as it can be, I have to give the Chinese credit for this cultural construct. There are a lot of people in China. No one has personal space, with the possible exception of people rich enough to afford 180 square meter apartments for only 4 people. No one is bothered by running into people on the sidewalk. Its not worth it. The average person is within a few inches of someone else for much of the day, and who cares? I probably ought not.

No comments: