Thursday, March 05, 2009

Watching for an Ark

It feels like rain has been falling forever.  A quick internet search reveals that, in fact, Shanghai has broken a 136-year-old record for continuous rainfall.  It rained 20 days in a row - broke on Tuesday and Wednesday - and has picked up again today.  And this is no spring shower disturbing an otherwise glorious day.  No, no.  This is continuous rain in 40 degree dampness with nothing but dark grey sky overhead.  Friends are planning their trips to the beach in desperate attempts to escape the grey, and local mental health centers have seen a 20% climb in reported rates of depression.

And what with the unknown of L--'s school, the pending renewal of Dave's contract, and the general uncertainty of expatriate life, I'm beginning to look for a bridge to jump off of.

Because I know my readership, I will explain that I say that with some exaggeration.  I'm actually rather enjoying my life right now, just becoming really bored with the quite limited options available.  Hang out inside L--'s school, hang out inside our home, go to the grocery store again, hang out at the mall.  That about does it for us.  We're scheduling lots of playdates - great because it gets us out of the house and raises our spirits - a surefire cure for those rainy day blues.

No comments: