Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Nation's Summer Capital

The girls and I are spending half of the week at the beach with my folks. We drove due east, through Annapolis, over a lot of water, past some fabulous looking produce stands, and ended up at our motel a few blocks away from the end of the land. Its a nifty little motel, clean and well located with tables in the room and lawn chairs on the balcony. What more could we need? The weather is perfect, the beach is lovely, and the food is both tasty and affordable.

We arrived this afternoon, and I just keep thinking about how easy it is to travel in America. We don't have to mess with passports, no worries about luggage weights, we just throw everything into the car along with all of the people, put on a good book-on-CD and plug away. With the cooler in the back, we stopped at a state park for lunch and running around about halfway through the drive. Things here are cheap. Anyone who wants to join us here in a beach house next summer, just let me know!

I have been posting pretty rarely lately, so I suppose you're wanting a better update on our lives. Two good reasons for not posting much.
One: There's just a lot going on. The house is unpacked and the shopping is all done (thank goodness. But adoption paperwork still looms, and we've already begun bidding for our next post. That includes loads of research. Plenty of other projects still sitting in boxes in the basement, and I rarely make it to the gym.
Two: There's not so much to say. Wry comments about my neighbors and the funny way people do things around here don't seem so funny. Its just being snide and judgmental when I comment on Americans living in America. Bidding will keep it interesting for a while here, but otherwise you may be looking at a dry year or so.

We have been keeping busy in the general area, though. Virginia and the surrounding area is just full of fun stuff to do! We've explored Mount Vernon, hung out on the mall, hiked through a forest park and driven to the beach. Our bucket list for the area is exciting, and this summer is the time to accomplish it. As I won't be telling you interesting things about the crazy way folks do things around here, I'll try to tell you the fun stuff that we do around here instead.

And right now, that's go to bed. An afternoon at the beach has readied me for a good night's sleep.

No comments: