Thursday, June 23, 2011

This Is Getting Embarassing

The cell phone curse has continued. And I've got to admit, its really getting me down. This is an expensive and frustrating piece of equipment to consistently break down. After I broke down and bought myself my same old phone from China, the one I sent through the washing machine back in April, I thought the curse would have ended.

Sadly, no.

At the beginning of June, it fell out of my pocket while I lounged in a chair on our back deck. Dave and I went straight to bed, it rained overnight, and my phone was flashing a strange light when I found it the next morning.

The vaccuum / rice trick worked its magic, and my phone was back within 1 week.

Yesterday, enjoying the sticky heat of June, the family attacked each other with the garden hose in the backyard. Once we were thoroughly soaked, we all dumped our clothes into a laundry basket and I quickly transferred that load straight into the washing machine.

When Dave and I went down to change the laundry around midnight, I saw my phone sitting right in plain sight - at the bottom of the washing machine. I walked away crying, and turned on the air conditioner.

Its sitting in rice for another week, although I'm a lot less hopeful about this recovery. Sitting in the drizzle all night is one thing. Being put through the wringer is another.

Here's the comfort I try to give myself. As I look back on the last few months, I've managed to drop very few balls. The house has come together. The kids have been happy and healthy. Schools have all been begun, finished, and registered for next year. Doctors have been visited multiple times, often with expensive and frustrating referrals.

In the grand scheme of things, if I'll I've wrecked is a few cell phones, it won't be a bad record.

Lets just hope the curse ends here.

No comments: