Sunday, September 11, 2011

Enjoying America: Labor Day

It was a week ago now, but we did enjoy a typical American Labor Day.  Everyone in the family slept late.  We had friends over to BBQ for lunch.  We attended another BBQ for dinner.  And then we nervously went to bed for the first day of school.

At the beginning of the day on Labor Day, Lilly asked me why we don't usually celebrate Labor Day.  At first, I interpreted the question incorrectly.  I began thinking about celebrations, and how two barbeques didn't seem to constitute much of one.  I began to compare to fireworks and gifts and decorations and such.

And then I realized the simple root of her question.


Lilly, we have never celebrated Labor Day before because it is not a holiday in China.  As far as my girls can remember, this was their first Labor Day.  And yes, it was very happy.

No comments: