Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Loving the Library

I've lived in America for the vast majority of my life, and so settled quite easily back into the routines and motions of life in the United States.  But small things do still catch me.  I am caught off guard by things like the high cost of buying or renting a movie; or surprised by the commercials during children's programming.  Small things make me happy, too.  I realized that I haven't had fall in years, and my kids have never celebrated Halloween in the states.  This season has been a treat.

But I've got to say that the best surprise has been the library.  We've packed away most of the kids' many books, because they're bringing home 20 new books a week from the library.  This saves us so much money!  I loved the library all summer, just because of the juvenile section - which, by the way, makes up half of our local branch library.  But then I finished the books sitting on my bedside table, and began seeking reading materials for myself.  Goodness sakes - this place is a goldmine!

I gave up libraries while in high school.  I read slowly, and didn't actually keep up with my assigned reading.  So when I checked out books from the library, I inevitably kept them longer than allowed and racked up quite a pile of fines.  So many, in fact, that they asked me not to borrow anymore books from their library.  So I didn't.

College went the same way - so much assigned reading that very few novels entered the mix.

After college, I found bookstores.  Those were fun, because they had coffee shops and stayed open late and you could spend loads of money and feel good about yourself.  Dave has said that books are his favorite decoration, and we dreamed of a house with bookshelves lining the walls.  We bought a lot of books, and that was fun.

Then we lived in China, and took whatever we could get.  I'd ask visitors to leave behind their books.  I'd trade with friends.  I'd stock up at Christmas.  I'd frequent the used book shelves at the community center.

And then we came to the states, and I found the library.  At first, it was just kinda neat.  I could grab a book for free and always have something to read.  Then I discovered the "Hold" function.  I can log onto my library's website and tell the computer what books I heard about on the radio, or had recommended to me by friends.  Magic fairies search for said book, find it, bring it to my library, and leave it neatly behind the desk with my name written on a piece of white paper.  Screw my Amazon Wish List - this is so much better!

In just under a year and a half, I will go back to stocking up and borrowing books.  Until then, I'm loving my local library.

No comments: