Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The Last Crazy Day of Summer

School started today!  Our entire house was awake and moving by 6:00am, and I am fully able to report that Jakarta is entirely dark when my alarm goes off at 5:30.  Rough.

We celebrated the last day of summer yesterday by keeping busy and wearing everyone out.  Lilly and Sophia both went on playdates in the morning, where I spent 2 hours taking them in the morning and the driver picked them up in the afternoon.  Its a different life, my friends.  Then we spent the afternoon at the pool, being happy and social and generally getting tired.  Macaroni and cheese out of the box for supper, because that's what makes my kids happy.  And Sumi fixed broccoli on the side, which made my kids happy as well.  They're good kids.

Then the whole family sat on the floor for a truly wild game of Crazy 8s.  There were people standing on their heads, lots of jumping was involved.  It was a Crazy Game.  And it was a really fun way to end the summer, sitting around being silly as a family.


Over dinner, I asked everyone to say their favorite part of the summer.  Its been a full few months, and there have been loads of high points.  We got various answers - cousins, swimming pools, summer camps, monsters, hotels.  But Lilly's answer was Indonesia.  She said that making new friends and playing with them over the last few weeks has been her favorite part of the summer.

I drove with them to school this morning, both to give them peace and to ease my heart.  Both of them found a friend and said good-bye to me before the bell rang.  They are happy.  Its going to be a good year.

No comments: