Thursday, August 14, 2014

The School

Our school is in the midst of a lot of turmoil.  It would not be appropriate for me to comment on this turmoil in any way, because I have very little knowledge about the events leading up to the current turmoil.  But a quick Google search will show you loads of turmoil around our school.

This turmoil made me extremely nervous.  Moving your kids is nerve-wracking already.  I am not yet convinced that moving internationally every few years is the best way to raise kids (although I have come to terms with the fact that my kids will not be raised under the best possible conditions - no kids are).  Still, we immediately look to a new school to provide routine and a safe and positive learning environment.  What I saw in the news did not make me feel safe, and our school provided me precious few bits of comforting information.  By and large, they asked me to trust that things were under control.  With no other basis for that trust, I found it difficult.

Today, I attended a parent forum at the school.  I left the building feeling relieved.  I feel relieved that the administration have a plan to heal most of their ills.  I feel assured that my children will be safe at school.  And I feel quite confident that every teacher in that school wants to spend their time teaching and caring for the children in their class.

I am pretty intimidated by the prospect of joining such a tumultuous community.  I am especially nervous about enrolling my children in such a tumultuous community.  But I also saw a lot of dignity among the administrators, and I heard them voice an amazing silver lining - the opportunity they have to model dignity under pressure, to model fighting against injustice, and the chance to live out their mission under difficult circumstances, a mission to become the best people for our world.

I think our kids will learn and grow at this school, and I imagine that learning and growing will involve more than just the curriculum.

No comments: