Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Interviewing for a Job that I Don't Really Want

I had a job interview this morning.  It went well.  I looked sharp, had good answers to all but one question, and enjoyed all of the interviewers.  They plan to make a decision very soon.

The only problem is that I don't really want the job.  I realize that I am breaking the rules of common sense by posting this fact online - fingers crossed that it won't be my first post to go viral.  I feel that I am more than qualified for that job, making me a strong candidate.  I feel that I could do the job well.  I feel like I would work for a good manager and in an interesting environment.  But I have no real interest in the position.  I feel overqualified and don't see this job fitting into an exciting career ladder - neither being a step up from any of my previous work, nor leading me to more interesting and complex work in the future.

It is a strange thing, interviewing for a position that I don't particularly want.  I enjoy the process of an interview - I am always happy to meet new people, and to talk about myself for an hour.  Not wanting the job removed all performance anxiety.  I walked in cool and confident.  Bombing one question had no major impact on the rest of my interview, because I just couldn't be bothered.  No doubt my confidence shone through, potentially making not caring a useful strategy.

If I take this job, I am selling out.  I have other plans in this city - plans that excite me, energize me, and offer both high career risk and great career reward.  I'll share those with you later in the week.  But none of those plans are likely to offer a Western salary.  Accepting a salary for the next four years would open a lot of options for us when we leave this post.

The money pushes me toward accepting the job, if offered, as does this:  After the interview, I joined Dave for lunch.  We chatted with people about school and housing and settling in and SIM cards.  We popped into a few offices to ask questions.  And I enjoyed this part.  I've worked independently from home as long as I have had children, and although I love the flexibility and availability of this lifestyle, I also love being in an office full of interactions.

I am not sure they will offer me the job. 

I am not sure I will accept, if offered.

I worry that I have only a few days or weeks to decide.

No comments: