Friday, August 08, 2008

Opening Day

Our television displays nearly 100 channels. Less than ten of those stations broadcast in English. Only infrequently does one of those channels broadcast something of interest to me. Coupled with the low cost of DVDs on the street, I tend to watch television on DVD. I'm currently working my way through Ugly Betty, Season 2. In a recent show, Betty took a writing course and received instruction from her Pulitzer Prize winning teacher. Essentially, good writing requires serious drama.

A friend in Shanghai recently read my blog, and called me to discuss my depression.

In an effort to assuage all fears of my blooming depression, allow me to guide you through the Olympics' Opening Day in our family home.

The Activity Box

The Activity Box is one of our favorite places in Shanghai. This lovely children's playroom takes the place of children's museums and libraries in the states. The price comes steep - nearly $10 per child. But the new toys, the clean facility, the stairs and ramps, and the new children to interact with every time we go all make the AB well worth the price of admission.

The girls and I went this morning, and an extraordinary thing happened. Extraordinary things in our life have less to do with miracles on a grand scale. Watching my children grow and develop can be extraordinary. This morning, L-- played with a complete stranger. L-- and S-- both play independently at The Activity Box, learning how to stand up for themselves and how to share. We meet friends at The Activity Box, and the girls will interact on their own time. But never before has L-- played with a stranger. She introduced herself to him; she held conversation with him; they interacted, asked each other questions, and she asked him to join her in climbing the steps. For my shy young child, this was an extraordinary first. I felt a wave of confidence in her starting school a mere 2 weeks from now.

Chinese Valentine's Day

Our high-rise building has a rather complex buzzing system. The first doors on the ground floor will open for anyone. The second set of doors only open when a guest buzzes a resident's apartment and is allowed inside. Once past these doors, a guest must again buzz a resident to set the elevators in motion.

Someone buzzed from the doors. I didn't recognize the person, and they didn't speak English. I considered not letting them in - I don't want to be the person who allowed the serial killer access to the residents of my building. Then the man waved a paper in front of the camera. Someone this convinced, and I buzzed him in.

Ten minutes later, he had not arrived at my door. I felt a wave of guilt. Someone's apartment is being cleaned out by thieves who I allowed access to the building. Damn.

Then I heard the elevator's ding. A moment later, a man turned the corner with a large box. Out of the box he pulled a beautiful bouquet. What a thoughtful husband, to send flowers for no reason, I thought.

He handed me the delivery slip. The writing on the page was primarily in Chinese, but two names were in English. My own, and the name of Dave's assistant.

What a thoughtful assistant my husband has, to send me flowers for no reason, I thought wryly.

I opened the card. A beautiful poem, rather Chinese in its imagery. It sounded nothing like Dave. And it was signed in Chinese.


I called his office, to make sure he thanked his assistant for the lovely flowers she sent. He laughed. You didn't write this poem, did you? I asked. Sure I did - what does it say?

Apparently, Thursday was Chinese Valentine's Day. His female co-workers gave him a hard time for not sending me flowers on Valentine's Day, and so his assistant offered to take care of it a day later. A few strikes against Dave's supposed romanticism, but I've still got a lovely vase of flowers on my table, a sweet husband, and two Valentine's Days in 1 year. I can hardly complain.

Fixing Dinner

It seems that my little girls are growing up.

When I first learned I was pregnant with S--, L-- was only 7 months old. Other women assured me that although the first year would be really hard, having children so close together would prove to be a blessing as they got older.

It seems that the girls are growing older. I fixed a large dinner, planning to deliver half to a family whose second child was born on Saturday. Dinner included main course, vegetable and desert and took over 2 hours to prepare. For nearly that entire time, the girls entertained themselves in their room with nearly no supervision. Another first! Complemented by meeting a 5 day old little boy, it made for a lovely evening.

The Opening Ceremonies

China's coming out party, the Olympics officially opened. Our family gathered on the couch, the girls already wearing their jammies and feeling snuggly. We watched the dancers in real time, with explanation in Chinese. The Bird's Nest looked extraordinary; the guests looked captivated; the dancers were beautiful and no doubt more impressive in person. And the fireworks filled the entire city. The girls loved the spectacle, and watching live in China made us feel proud of our adopted home.

It was a good day.

No comments: