Thursday, August 28, 2008

Stay With Me

This is why teens have babies.

Well, either this or sexually active pro-life teens.

I remember hearing the stories about teen girls trying to get pregnant. Apparently, gals with histories of abuse or neglect often craze the unreserved love sent to a mother from her baby. As a teen, I was smart enough to know this craving was poppycock. Babies may love you unabashedly, but they can also be awfully nasty. They're pull your hair, pinch your neck, and bite your nipples.

But toddlers - now those kids are fun. Or at least, my toddlers are fun. They're little explorers, intent on showing me everything they find fascinating. They're little chatterboxes, convinced that I should hear and respond to everything they say. They're adorable little balls of snuggles, often content just to curl up on my lap or climb into my arms. Just being close to me can make them feel better. The power I have to make them feel better can be intoxicating, and just makes me drown in my love for them.

Today was L--'s 3rd day of school. On the way, she told me that she'd like me to stay with her at school. She had no problem with going. She just wanted my company. Two days away from Mommy is long enough, she seemed to be saying. I agreed wholeheartedly. And had it been any other day, I may have stayed to play for a while. The first hour of school is freeplay time, and parents and younger siblings are welcome to stay, if they so desire. But on this particular morning, I had plans. I had to meet the movers at our old home, an hour away. I had to be there in an hour. No time for play - there was work to be done!

I stayed longer than I should have, and handed her off to a teacher. I stepped out the door without looking back. I ran straight to the car, parked just a few steps away. I sunk into the back seat, pulled my hat over my eyes, and let myself cry.

Luckily, this was the most dramatic part of either of our days. Apparently, L-- calmed down immediately with Mrs. Snyder, who read some stories to her and helped her become comfortable again. I reached the apartment only 10 minutes after the movers arrived. They entered the apartment at 10:30, and had everything packed and into the van by 1:00pm. Certainly they moved faster than I would have! An hour for lunch, a drive across town, and still they were on their way home by 4:15. They even managed to move the girls' furniture into their bedroom without waking S-- from her nap -- in the same room!

Overall, the day counts as a success... capped off by internet access installed in our apartment. No more distractions from a Chinese Schwarzenager.

No comments: